Paisley’s cultural events celebrated in town’s 2021 weekend
Paisley is getting ready to show-off the breadth and depth of the town’s cultural events in a unique snapshot of Paisley’s cultural scene ahead of the town’s bid for UK City of Culture 2021.
During February’s 2021 weekend – on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 February – event organisers in and around Paisley are being asked to shout out about what happens in the town on an average weekend.
And people attending events over the weekend are also being asked to spark a digital conversation by posting their photos and videos on Twitter and Instagram using #Paisley2021, with the best bits featured on Paisley 2021 social media channels.
The weekend’s events will help to establish a cultural baseline for the town, showcasing the variety of events - music, film, art, craft, theatre and heritage – on offer in the town.
Highlights include Paisley on Film - Made in my Toun at UWS - a unique showcase of rarely-seen footage of Paisley from the archives of the National Library of Scotland - as well as Call to Yarns, the launch of a project to create a Paisley tapestry.
Chair of the Paisley City of Culture Partnership Board, Renfrewshire Council Leader Mark Macmillan, said: “There is a lot going on in Paisley already, so this weekend is an ideal opportunity to celebrate what goes on in the town most weekends.
“This weekend may be a typical one for Paisley, but it’s definitely more than just that – it is about creating a clear picture of culture and events in the town and using that as a baseline that we can build upon.
“Paisley’s vibrant local cultural scene is central to our plans to use culture as a vehicle for the town’s regeneration plans. As we work towards submitting Paisley’s bid for UK City of Culture 2021 to the UK Government next year, we will be working with Renfrewshire’s cultural community to develop a distinctive, innovative and inclusive cultural programme which stretches across all of Renfrewshire.”
Events taken place over the weekend include:
Museums and galleries
- Light Fantastic, 11am-4pm, Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 February, Paisley Museum
- Inspired, 2pm-5pm, Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 February, Paisley Museum
- Paisley on Film - Bring Your Own Archive/Made In My Toun, 1.30pm-5pm, Saturday 20 February, University of West of Scotland
Music and entertainment
- Live music, 8pm-1am, Saturday 20 February, The Bungalow Bar
- Live music, 9pm-12pm, Saturday 20 February, The College Bar & Grill
- Live music, 10pm-1am, Saturday 20 February, Saporito Wine Bar
- Diane Mitchell Music School: Gospel Choir Open Rehearsal, 1pm-3pm, Sunday 21 February, Paisley Arts Centre
- Acoustic afternoon, 2pm-5pm, Sunday 21 February, Brick Lane Studios
- Live music, 3.30pm to 5.30pm, Sunday 21 February, The College Bar & Grill
- Open mic, 8pm-12am, Sunday 21 February, The Bungalow Bar
Heritage and walking tours
- Walking Tours on Wheels: Oakshaw, 11am-1pm, Saturday 20 February, meet at YMCA on High Street
- Heritage Walk: Paisley Abbey & the churches of Paisley, 2pm-3pm, Saturday 20 February, Paisley Abbey
- Heritage Walk: The origins of Paisley, 1pm-2pm, Sunday 21 February, Paisley Abbey
Design and craft
- Saturday art classes, 10.30am-12.30pm, Saturday 20 February, Paisley Museum
- Call to Yarns! The Renfrewshire Tapestry project, 11am-1pm, Saturday 20 February, Paisley Abbey
- Creative art classes, 2pm-4pm, Saturday 20 February, Paisley Museum
The weekend will also see Renfrewshire’s creative community join in a cultural conversation with the Paisley 2021 bid team on Saturday 20 February, 10am to 2pm in Paisley Town Hall.
It will be the first of many public engagement sessions on Paisley’s bid for UK City of Culture 2021.
To join in the cultural conversation event with the Paisley 2021 bid team, email hello@Paisley2021.co.uk with your details.