Why we are bidding
Winning the 2021 culture title will have significant benefits:
- It will bring around a million visitors to Renfrewshire in 2021.
- It will generate an estimated economic impact of £50m across our area.
- Every penny visitors spend will directly help our communities and our high streets.
- It will create hundreds of new jobs for local people and grow our economy.
- It will help us tackle poverty and make it easy for every child and family in Renfrewshire to access cultural activity, join in, be free, have fun and play.
- It will transform Paisley’s image nationally and internationally and build a new sense of pride in Paisley
2021 will be a great and unforgettable year for local people, especially those in our communities who are vulnerable and less heard.
There will be an opportunity every day, across all our communities, for everyone to come together to enjoy music, dance, art, books, performance and most of all friendship. No one will be left out of our year of celebration.
We deserve this big break and to have everyone in the UK celebrating with us.
We need to make sure all our communities know why Paisley is bidding for the culture title. We need to show the judging panel that all of Renfrewshire is behind the bid and we have what it takes to compete against cities from all over the UK.
How the bid works
The UK City of Culture programme is run by the UK Government’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The contest sees a year of major UK-wide events hosted in one location and aims to use culture and creativity as a catalyst for change.
Bids are due to be lodged by end April 2017. A shortlist will be announced over the summer with the winner to be revealed by the end of the year.
Previous winners are Derry (2013) and Hull (2017). There has never been a Scottish winner before and we would love to be the first.
By the way, we know Paisley is a town, not a city, but that’s ok – the competition is open to large towns and urban areas. So as Scotland’s largest town, we are well equipped to apply...and win!